Wednesday, January 02, 2008

I am officially a Bacon Banker!

What a wonderful holiday season! I hope you got everything you asked for. Other than world peace, I did.

I've gotten some pretty wonderful gifts over the years. (My all-time favorite is the electric pencil sharpener that I got for Mother's Day a few years back). But for this year, my most favoritest, fabulous, wonderful gift of all was from my daughter. She had heard me talk about micro-loans for years, and how I wished I could participate. But, not being a financial institution, and knowing nothing about how these things work in foreign countries, it seemed I was to be denied.

HAH! The power of the internet! My daughter found Kiva.org. They are an organization that lets everyday people like you and me participate in micro-loans. In $25 increments, we can invest in any of a number of businesses throughout the world. With the gift certificate from my daughter, I invested in an entrepreneur group in Uganda. They raise chickens and pigs, and needed the money for more pigs.

(click here to read about my group) http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=businesses&action=about&id=29310



I can see how one can get addicted to this! It's interesting to read about the different people and groups and what they hope to accomplish. It's also a sobering reminder of how much we accumulate and consume here in America. We've been working on simplifying in our household.

I mean, how much do we really need, anyway?? All my friends are going to get gift certificates for their birthdays and special days.

And I am going to proudly proclaim that I am an investor in a Ugandan piggery. I intend upon investing every month... so watch for more updates!

Invest!


XX
P

No comments: