Saturday, May 20, 2006

My BEST OF DC Award

Fresh, flavorful greens. Spicy chopped B-B-Q and juicy ribs. The best (bar none) macaroni and cheese in the world… the way Mom used to make it in the 60’s… oven baked with a crispy top and REAL cheese. Jimmy Carter knows what I’m talking about. It’s the best BBQ joint in the Washington DC environs. It’s Levi’s… and it’s in a strip mall on the corner of Oxon Hill Road and Livingston in Maryland, right off the D-12 bus line. And all for only $7.95. Levi’s gets my BEST OF DC award! J

I can also tell you that the metro in Washington DC is clean and fast. And everywhere I went, people were very willing to help out this first-time DC tourist. Bus drivers who wished us a good day or a great week-end. Riders thanking drivers. Natives taking the time to show me how to use the fare machines, or giving me hints about riding the metro.

I had a FABULOUS time in DC, although I never went to a single monument or museum. That’s for next trip. Expect several blog entries about the experience, for there is too much to put in just one.

I can tell you that the Book Expo is everything they tell you it is, and then some. And although I didn’t get some of the autographs that I wanted, I got many that I never even expected. And a photo with Jay Bush and Duke!! Chocolate chip cookies with Famous Amos, and a photo with him as well! It was a talk show host heaven, with authors everywhere.

UPS makes all its profits for the year at the Expo, for someone in the organization many years ago figured that people couldn’t carry all the books they were picking up, so they created “Attendee Shipping.” Thousands of boxes are set out on tables in a back area where people come in from time to time to load them up with their prizes. Then you get them taped up and in the assembly line to be shipped. Granted, UPS isn’t the only one making a fortune. The trucking company (Freeman) gets $25 a person “handling” charge. You do the math. They never have to work another day all year. And my 25 pound box will be trucking its way to me next week.

Next time… Oasis spa and their brilliant idea, the Colonel’s Posner, and my new best friend, Dr. Susan Bartlett.

Ciao Bella!

XX
P

ps.... I know it's sad, but it was Elliott's time to go on American Idol. My prediction still stands... it will be Taylor Hicks as the next American Idol. I think he was a definite long shot when the competition began, but he has shown the style, the "It" Factor and the charm of a winner. Yahoo for Taylor and his harmonica!

1 comment:

Allison said...

So glad you enjoyed your trip... :) As for Taylor and AI, you know you've got me hooked now! ;) Can't wait for next season!